Thursday, April 15, 2010

A Million Little Pieces


A Million Little Pieces
By James Frey

448 pages
10 hours and 9 minutes listening time

Grade B

I don't know what to say about this book really. I don't really know how I feel about it. I had a hard time with his writing style. He repeats himself, he repeats himself, he effing repeats himself. And yes, by the third repeat, he would drop an eff bomb. I thought it was great that this guy over came him drug addiction. I did not like how the book seemed to promote the disregard of the 12 step program that really does help a lot of people.

However, I did get wrapped up in this book and did want to keep reading it. I don't think there was a time where I was like, ugh, when is this book going to be over.

ETA: I also did not know much about the controversy of this book until I started reading it. Then I googled (yes I googled) and found that he did embellish parts. Whether he did it because he was an addict and that is just how he remembered it, or if he did it because (according to Wiki) he wrote about how he wanted to see himself, is no never mind to me. I enjoyed the story whether it was fiction or non-fiction. I think though the added hype about him and his truthfulness is what really made this book as famous as it is currently.

In the long run, I am glad the book was only like 10 hours listening time. I originally had My Friend Leonard on my list to read too, but after this book, I am not really too interested in reading further about James and his life, or his friends, mainly because I do have a hard time with books about drug addiction. Probably because I have a hard time relating considering that I have never had drug problems.

There were parts in this book that I was just utterly disgusted with because of what he says he did in the past. I literally wanted to throw up in parts. I guess it's hard for me to think that some people are just this effed up.

I am having a hard time wrapping this review up. I liked the book, but I am sure I will never read it again. Not because I hate it, but just because it is one of those books that I just don't want to relive, but not because it's bad.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think this book's objective was to promote a disregard for the 12 steps. I think it was actually a very good thing that James shows you that there are ways to recover and become sober without them. There are a lot of people who can't relate to the 12 steps because they don't believe in a higher power - which is pretty much the basis for most of the steps. That's not necessarily a bad thing, that's just their personal beliefs - and I think A Million Little Pieces gave people who can't believe or buy into the 12 steps a way to sobriety without going against their own beliefs. While the 12 steps HAVE in fact helped millions of people, there are millions of people who can't use them or incorporate them into their life, but still need help to get clean regardless. You just gotta look at things from the other side sometimes... :)

Randi@SowderingAbout said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Candy said...

I think I will pass on this one. I feel like I'm being bombarded by certain problems. I'm aware of the problems. I'm aware of the solutions. I appreciate efforts people make to help others and I try to help people and animals myself. Now I've retreated to the world of Julia Child, Anne of Green Gables and the Girl of the Limberlost. I like it here.

P.S. I'm curious about the comment that was removed:)

Randi@SowderingAbout said...

Candy I agree with you 100%.