Monday, April 26, 2010

The Accidental Billionaires

The Accidental Billionaires: The Founding of Facebook
A Tale of Sex, Money, Genius and Betrayal
By Ben Mezrich

272 pages
7 hours and 23 minutes

Grade C

Here's the thing. Everyone uses facebook. Everyone. If you don't use it actively, you have at least checked it out. Well who created it? Who changed the world of social networking? A guy named Mark Zuckerberg, that's who. Well actually, if you get technical, it was a group of people, Mark was just the programmer, but he sorta stole the idea from them. And then he pushed out his co-founder.

So this guy Mark is something like a super genius. He turned down a million dollar job with Microsoft when he was like 17. Then went off to Harvard. Met up with a group of people that wanted his help in creating a social networking site, spun off on their ideas, created Facebook, got his best friend to finance the entire thing, then ran off to California to start working closer to Sean Parker (the inventor of the infamous Napster) and then pushed them all out and then became a billionaire by the age of 24.

It was pretty neat story. I really liked hearing about how one of my most frequented websites and one of my favorites what created. It did kinda piss me off that the developer was such a tard and pushed everyone out. I think however, that he might have a bit of aspergers.

I rated it a "C" because it's not one of those books that will change your life or keep you thinking about it forever, but it was interesting. I will tell you though, when I logged into facebook tonight....I did think about Mark. :)

No comments: