Monday, April 19, 2010

Here's Johnny

Here's Johnny!: My Memories of Johnny Carson, The Tonight Show, and 40 Years of Friendship
Ed McMahon

240 pages
4 hours and 18 minutes listening time

Grade A

This book was incredible. Not only was it hilarious, it was also sweet, honest, and very loving. Ed McMahon actually narrates this book as well, and to hear him talk about his friendship with Johnny is so endearing. There were clips of the actual show on this audio book, and I found myself laughing to almost tears. I also found myself in almost sad tears when Ed talked about how great friends he and Johnny were.

The Tonight Show was just barely before my time, but I do remember seeing clips on TV and various skits. I remember seeing the performance of Bette Midler on Johnny's last show. The man was just utterly incredible. Hearing Ed's perspective of him makes him even more incredible.

Listening to this book has also prompted me to Netflix the DVDs of the show. I really want to see him in action. If you get an afternoon, read this book. It is short, but so very lovely. If you get a chance to listen to it on audio, do. With Ed being the narrator, it really puts more feeling into it. But really, it's a very nice book.

*********
On another note, I rented the DVD for Speak because I had read the book. The main character is played by Kristen Stewart, which you should all know is the also the main character, Bella, in the Twilight series. Stewart plays a pretty good role in this movie considering the main character is confused, shy, doesn't talk much, and spends most the story feeling some sort of discomfort. So it is a great role for Stewart :P Other than that, the movie sticks pretty close to the book, a few things are different but not much. However, I wouldn't really waste your time on the movie if you read the book.

No comments: