Sunday, March 21, 2010

Hex Hall

Hex Hall
By Rachel Hawkins

336 pages
Not available on audio at this time

Grade C-

If you were to combine the ideas and greatness of Harry Potter, the terrible writing of Twilight and the fictional characters from both, you would get Hex Hall. The author had a good idea, but I just didn't think it held up well in this book. Maybe I have just put so much stock and love into Harry Potter and Twilight, that the thought of yet another fictional world containing both just doesn't feel right to me. As I didn't hate this book, I didn't much LOVE it either. I thought that the ending was summed up way to quickly (in like the last 20 pages) and that it was just blah.

Looking on Amazon, it looks like this will be the first of a series. I will probably read the next book because frankly I do want to see what happens to the characters (once I read about a character I always want to finish it, even if it drives me crazy. It is probably why I like LA Ink so much because I like watching the drama even though the show is pretty boring). I am hoping that, like Twilight, the book gets better with the second in the series.

Anyway, it is a terribly quick read. Had I sat down and just read it without interruptions I probably would have had it completed in about an hour or two. Is it worth buying? No. Is it worth borrowing from the library? Maybe. Is it worth more than just a few short paragraphs on my blog? No......

No comments: