Monday, February 14, 2011

Room

Room
By Emma Donoghue

366 pages
Read on my Kindle

Grade B

I can sum this book up in two words, Beautifully Depressing.

The story is written from the perspective of a 5 year old boy. He was born in an 11x11 size room where his mom lived as a captive. There are no windows, there is only one door that is locked and only one person has the combination to the door, and neither the mom or the boy have the combination, only Old Nick.

The beauty of this book comes from the innocence that Jack, the child, holds. The author did an amazing job of capturing how simple and amazing life is through the eyes of a child. AMAZING. That was my favorite part of this book. Jack was so incredibly lovable. Reading it as an adult, you realize the adult issues that are underlying, but you get to live them through the experiences of Jack.

I really can't express the beauty of this book. I know that my Book Club Bitches (it's what we call my IRL book club) didn't like it, but I really really enjoyed it. I really wish I would have finished it before our actual get together so I could tell them how much I loved it. Now I will just have to wait until next month :P

Anyway, it's really good. I don't care what anyone says.

No comments: