Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner


The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner
By Stephenie Meyer

196 pages
4 hours and 12 minutes listening time

Grade B-

Oh, Stephenie.....Stephenie, Stephenie, Stephenie....There are so many different ways you could spend your time....like finishing Midnight Sun for instance. But no, instead of giving the readers what they really want, you pick the most obscure random character in all your books to write a novella about. I mean Laraunt would have made more sense, James even....but Bree Tanner? I can't tell you how many people said "Who?" when we all heard about this book. I probably only remember because I listened to the stupid series for well over a year on repeat. And I still keep asking myself, why Bree?

However, if you skip over the absolute randomness of character selection, it's actually an okay book. You get a different side of the vampires that you don't really get in Twilight with the "vegetarians". It's even a much different side than the vamps that show up in Breaking Dawn, because you really get to live a newborns life.

I kinda liked Bree, and I kinda liked the characters that she put together. Of course in 196 pages you don't get much time for character building, but she did what she could with what she had. Even though what she had was a world created by herself.

I don't know. If you are a die hard Twilight fan, whether you want to or not, you have to read it, because Twilight to Twilight fans is like chicken nuggets to toddlers, there is no explanation on why we like it, we just do. I think it's because the pages are laced with crack.

But for 196 pages, it is not a huge investment of time, plus you know how it ends. I read it in a day, and really, had I not had a toddler in my lap begging for chicken nuggets most the day, I probably would have finished it faster. So I say, go for it. The only thing you will be left wondering it, will she ever freaking finish Midnight Sun?????

No comments: