Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Rosa Parks: My Story

Rosa Parks: My Story
By Rosa Parks

192 pages

Grade A

I wanted to read a book for Black History Month in February. When I went to the book store looking for a book, I debated between this book, and the presidential book by President Obama because I figured I could get a president book out of the way too. BUT, I don't know if you guys have seen the Obama book, but it's kinda huge. Like really huge, and I couldn't invest that much time into a book like that. Not that I don't want to invest into a large, book, but I try very hard to stay out of politics, and a huge book like that about politics.....I have entirely to many other things I would rather do.

So when I saw this book, I thought, "self, this would be a good book" (I often think in quotes). I always knew the story of Rosa Parks, ("wasn't she that black lady that decided she wasn't going to move to the back of the bus for a white lady?") but I never knew all the details. I mean honestly, who does? Just me?

The only terrible thing I have to say is that I am sorry I am the one that has to review this book here! My reviews have sucked lately, but well here you go...I LOVED this book. I really enjoy historical fiction, and though I know that this book is non-fiction, I have read so much historical fiction that will reference back to Rosa Parks and you know in school they tell you about Rosa but you never get the whole story. This book tells you just that. You get to hear about how Rosa grew up, her marriage, and her hard work. She actually did a lot of work with the NAACP and was a big park of the Civil Rights Movements, outside of her epic move on the bus. I really admire her as a person. She was a flat out hard worker.

I got chills reading this book more than once. The part that really moved me was when the entire black community, and some of the white, boycotted the buses. It was so incredibly amazing to see how one person, one simple act could change history forever. And that is what I loved about this book so much, the simplicity of the act that helped change our country for ever.

I could go on and on and on about how happy I was that I picked up this book, but you just have to go for it yourself. Had I just been at home reading I probably would have had it done in an hour, I mean it's only 192 pages long, but I enjoyed that it took a couple of days. Some books need a few days. This was one of those books. And I still think about it, almost daily. So just go for it.

No comments: